Food Forward is encouraging you to participate in a great new project around hospital food. (See some of our past work on hospital food in our blogs).
The University Health Network (UHN) in Toronto is looking to the wisdom of the crowd for ideas on how to better connect local Ontario food to their hospitals. The Department of Energy & Environment, a member of Sustain Ontario, has partnered with Nutrition Services to launch a new idea crowdsourcing project, “Talkin’ Local Food with UHN,” to enable a wide conversation among the UHN community – patients, staff, visitors, and the broader public – about refreshing the hospitals’ food services and culture with a local and sustainable focus.
Three challenges have been posted on the platform to guide the conversation. These questions are designed to tap into the experience of patients, staff and creative thinkers to hear their ideas that may otherwise stop at a lunch hour chat. From a UHN blog post:
- “What are your soothing foods when sick or injured? One of the challenges of serving food in Toronto hospital is the extreme diversity of food preferences and needs. Share your stories about your soothing food. Read more“
- “How might we change the way staff think of food in patient care? This is a biggie. We want to hear what it would take to raise the profile of hospital food, develop a food culture and help food be seen as part of recovery. Read more“
- “How might we use local food to generate revenue? Even though we acknowledge that local food brings opportunities for cost savings (waste reduction for example) we also recognize that we will need investments to make this viable in the long term. Let’s use our collective creativity to identify ways to generate money with local food. Read more.”
Learn how you can get involved and share your ideas...
Help us share and congratulate the 2014 #FoodIdol Winners online!
At Food Forward Turns Four, entrepreneurs Natalia “Cookie” Martinez, Evis Chirowamhangu, Jon Woodside and Carlos Flores shared this year’s Food Idol award for Breakout Food Activist. This award recognizes an individual whose action to change food policy has led him/her to stand up for food justice and good food policy change. This year’s award winners are small food businesses and food vendors whose joint presentation to City Council was part of a pivotal campaign to the achievement of Toronto’s new street food regulations.
The Sweet New Initiative award was presented to Young Somali Growers, an urban agriculture program developed this year by the Somali Immigrant Aid Organization (SIAO). Led by Tare Egbedi, this youth driven program established a community garden - the Weston King Neighbourhood Center’s Garden - in a disused parking lot, with only a shoestring budget, volunteer labour and mostly donated tools and supplies.
Michelle German was honoured as a Food Forward Honourary Lifetime Member, for her years of dedication and commitment to good food advocacy. A long-time food advocate at City Hall, German has served in the past as a board member at Food Forward and is outgoing chair of the Toronto Youth Food Policy Council.
Ursula Conlon was given the Food Forward Outstanding Member Award. The pair was recognized for their instrumental role in establishing the Food Action Hub, as well as their individual contributions towards advancing Food Forward’s mission to create a better city through food.
Congraulations and THANK YOU to all of Toronto's food actionists!
Photos by Pat Anderson
An evening to visit our new Food Action Hub (2 Homewood Avenue at Carlton St.) and try some of TO's best new movable food + drink while you hang out with your favourite foodies.
Food + Drink
- Liberty Village Brewing Co.
- Big E's Grinds | Local Hawaiian flavours
- Animal Liberation Kitchen | tasty healthy good for everybody
- Mauritian Pot | Delicious 100% Halal Mauritius food
- Cookie Martinez | Fresh home-style cooking with a Latin twist
Winners announced of the 2014 #FoodIdol Awards VOTE HERE!
- Breakout Food Activist
- Spicy New Venture
- Sweet New Initiative
- Food Forward Outstanding Member
Anniversary Membership Discounts!
- Run a small food business? Check out our new business community offerings (Discount through Aug 14 party tickets only.)
- Are you an individual and want to join Food Forward? Take a look at our new community membership options
Grab tickets early - we have a modest sized place & patio so the party may sell out. Tweet #FFTurns4.