See below for further food entrepreneur training resources, and ways to get involved in Jobstarter!
Thanks to those who've attended our recent workshops.
We look forward to offering more interesting content and connections in the New Year!
Thank you to Jobstarter Champions:
Food Forward has developed Jobstarter: the Food Entrepreneur Training Program after identifying a need for practical business development education for Toronto's budding good food entrepreneurs. Social entrepreneurship in healthy, diverse, local sustainable food is a serious economic opportunity. We aim to work with those especially in un/underemployed/low income situations, young people and immigrants to connect and learn from with successful food entrepreneurs and business professionals in the GTA.
We launched in 2012 with the support of Heifer Canada and partnership with Scadding Court Community Centre and Bento Miso, and similar in 2010 and 2011. We are happy to expand the Program in 2013/4 with trainings in different neighbourhoods/sectors planned to be led by good food entrepreneurs, to include business-to-business networking and peer-based opportunities, as well as continued online learning and resources.
Toronto's new entrepreneurs have identified needs specifically around networking, piloting, startup basics, marketing, mentorship, and celebrating success, low cost and accessibly. We are developing our program's workshops to offer exactly this. We've also led similar business training at the first caterToronto forum in October 2013.
Also write us to learn about sponsorship and presenting/mentorship opportunities as part of Jobstarter!
We offer a way to connect and learn with other entrepreneurs for specific business development skills. You may also be developing or re-visiting your business plan, and want practical food experience working/volunteering/participating with a food program or business. Below are more organizations, consultants, and opportunities to round out your experience.
We are finding other key ways to support capacity for new entrepreneurs. See the Commerical Kitchen Directory for opportunities to rent.
Business planning and development - programs and consultants to help get you going:
- Sizzling Communications (food biz media and communications)
- Carly Dunster Law (legal advice and consulting, regulations, start-up)
- Melissa Reiter (business and legal advice for food food business and non-profit/charity)
- Fidel Gastros (food biz media, marketing, branding)
- Mitchell Stern (branding specialist, building your business through local networks and digital content creation)
- Connect Legal (pro bono advice for immigrant entrepreneurs)
- Everdale Farm - Farmers Growing Farmers program (Farm Visioning and Planning Course)
- Alterna Savings Micro-Finance Program (graduated financing and support)
- MARS Discovery District (entrepreneur resources and workshops)
- Toronto Business Development Centre (Business Incubation, Ontario Self-Employment Benefit and Ontario Works Self-Employment Development)
- YMCA Greater Toronto (Ontario Self-Employment Benefit and Ontario Works Self-Employment Development, Ontario Works Self Employment)
- Enterprise Toronto (business planning resources and free consultation)
Practical food work/business experience and start-up spaces
Toronto Food Business Incubator - business development and food training
Toronto Underground Market (TUM) - vendor registration
Toronto Farmer's Market Network - markets, vendors, stories
FarmStart - new farmer training, land, resources
Fresh City Farms - new farmer recruitment
Everdale Farm - Food Growing Skills Training
Evergreen Brick Works - Farmers' Market
Daily Bread Food Bank - Food Services Training Program
FoodShare - Focus on Youth Food Project
St James Town Community Cafe - grassroots food and community events (contact email@example.com)
Paintobox Bistro - training, career, business development and business incubator
George Brown College - free baker pre-apprenticeship program
Humber College - cook pre-apprenticeship program
Food Forward - we have occasional opportunities to donate or sell prepared foods and other connections/ideas - feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org